Friday, October 3, 2008

Integrity Applied

It is easy to sit here staring at an empty "compose" box in the posting section of our new family blog site. All of the thoughts swirling in my head seem to collide rather than develop and produce a literary masterpiece. Today, I read something that moved me in "Soul of a Citizen: Living with Conviction in a Cynical Time" by Paul Rogat Loeb (1999). ---It is cause alone to commemorate: the very fact alone that I got to read something other than the scriptures or a children's book is amazing!--- The book is about being willing to take a stand for that in which you believe. (Reminded me of a great book written by Gordon B. Hinckley, entitled "Standing for Something.") Mr. Loeb writes, "We need to understand our cultural diseases of callousness, shortsightedness, and denial, and learn what it will take to heal our society and heal our souls. How did so many of us become convince that we can do nothing to affect our common future? And how have some other[s]...managed to remove the cataracts from their vision and work powerfully for change?" Then, he relates the story of a man named Pete and a couple of friends who overcame great odds by taking a stand. Pete said, "It takes energy to act. But it's more draining to bury your anger, convince yourself you're powerless, and swallow whatever's hand to you. The times I've compromised my integrity and accepted something I shouldn't, the ghosts of my choices have haunted me. When you get involved in something meaningful, you make your life count. What you do makes a difference." Isn't that awesome?!!! I love how he realized that and shared it with us. President Gordon B. Hinckley once said, "It is not enough to be good, you have to be good for something." Otherwise, we are good for nothing. I have only just begun this book, so I am unqualified to recommend it as yet. But it is good so far. I do recommend the book "Standing for Something." We must stand up and be a worker that in which we believe. Integrity applied!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, that is wonderful that you are doing a blog. I am new too! I love reading my children and friends blogs!I miss seeing your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you have to say,
Remember to comment in a respectful way!